iDnipro

Twitter Suspends 2 Accounts in Mueller Indictments

Social networking site Twitter Saturday suspended two accounts linked to 12 Russian spies indicted by Special Counsel Robert Mueller for interfering in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

On Friday, a federal grand jury charged the 12 Russian intelligence officers with hacking Democratic computer networks in 2016 in the most detailed U.S. accusation yet that Moscow meddled in the election to help Republican Donald Trump.

Twitter said Saturday it had suspended the accounts @DCLeaks_ and @Guccifer_2 that were named in the indictment, which alleges a wide-ranging conspiracy involving sophisticated hacking and staged release of documents.

The indictment alleges that from around June 2016 the conspirators released tens of thousands of stolen emails and documents “using fictitious online personas, including ‘DCLeaks’ and ‘Guccifer 2.0.’”

In a statement Saturday, a Twitter spokesman said: “The accounts have been suspended for being connected to a network of accounts previously suspended for operating in violation of our rules.”

Twitter in recent months has purged suspicious user accounts in a bid to prevent the dissemination of fake news and “encourage healthy conversation,” the company said this month.

Friday’s indictment was the first by Mueller that directly charges the Russian government with meddling in the election. The Kremlin denies it interfered.

Speaking at a cybersecurity conference in Philadelphia on Saturday, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said the indictments proved that the United States “will not tolerate interference with our democratic processes and that there will be consequences for foreign meddling.”

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
iDnipro

У Києві розпочалася акція на підтримку «Стіни пам’яті»

У Києві 14 липня капелани, волонтери, митці та учасники бойових дій на сході України провели акцію на підтримку «Стіни пам’яті», розміщеної на стіні Михайлвського монастиря. У рамках акції відеоролики з проханням підтримати цей проект записали режисер Ахтем Сейтаблаєв, музикант, лідер гурту «Мандри» Сергій Фоменко (Фома) та інші, серед яких матері загиблих воїнів.

Також волонтери розпочали збір коштів, щоб поруч зі Стіною встановити електронне обладнання, на якому можна дізнатись про кожного загиблого, про основні віхи нинішньої війни та про історію місця, де розташована Стіна.

«Стіна пам’яті – це волонтерський проект, на який держава не витратила жодної гривні. Її поява – це воля народу України, тієї його частини, яка душу й тіло кладе за Соборну Незалежну Україну. На сьогодні ми зібрали більш як половину коштів, необхідних для встановлення і функціонування електронного монітора біля Стіни, з інформацією про нинішню війну, про загиблих українських воїнів», – розповів Радіо Свобода волонтер-пошуковик (пошук загиблих бійців), координатор проектів «Стіна пам’яті», «Блокпост пам’яті» Павло Нетьосов.

Він також повідомив, що 29 серпня, коли біля Стіни відбудеться міжконфесійний молебень у пам’ять про загиблих захисників України, на монастирській стіні встановлять чотири нові секції з іменами і короткими даними загиблих на сході бійців (період кінець 2016 – початок 2018 року). На сьогодні на Стіні пам’яті можна побачити портрети та короткі біографічні дані учасників бойових дій на сході, загиблих у 2014 – на початку 2016 року.

Також читайте: Матері загиблих воїнів: як жити далі?

Підтримку проекту надають, серед інших, капелани, благодійна організація «ELEOS-Україна» і департамент цивільно-військового співробітництва міністерства оборони України.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
iDnipro

Цікаво було б зіграти когось, хто потрібен Путіну – актор Ерік Робертс

Голлівудському актору Еріку Робертсу було б цікаво зіграти в фільмі про сучасне життя в Україні, зокрема про відносини з Росією. Як він заявив під час спілкування із журналістами в Одесі 14 липня, його б зацікавила можливість зігріти когось, хто потрібний президенту Росії Володимиру Путіну.

«Важливими сьогодні є відносини між Україною і Росією. І я би хотів зіграти когось, хто має до цього стосунок. Я би хотів зіграти когось, хто потрібний Путіну. Когось, хто організує зустрічі для нього. Це мав би бути фільм на кшталт «Три дні Кондора», – заявив Робертс, відповідаючи на запитання Радіо Свобода. («Три дні Кондора» – шпигунський трилер 1975 року про протистояння Сполучених Штатів Америки і Радянського Союзу – ред.)

Персона Володимира Путіна захоплює актора, який вважає його найкращим світовим лідером на сьогодні. І важливим є навіть не те, скільки в нього грошей, наголошує Робертс, а його шлях до його нинішнього місця.

«Все, що відбувається, це не про почуття Путіна і не про почуття українців – це про гроші. Саме за гроші можна придбати владу і свободу», – заявив актор. Також під час зустрічі із журналістами Робертс наголошував, що грати «поганих хлопців» йому взагалі цікавіше. «У них кращий одяг, більш гарні жінки і вони вмирають в кінці», – пожартував він, відповідаючи на інше запитання про свої акторські вподобання.

Робертс приїхав до чорноморського міста для участі в Одеському міжнародному кінофестивалі, де він провів майстер-клас. У день свого приїзду він також привітав із днем народження українського режисера Олега Сенцова, який голодує вже понад два місяці, вимагаючи від Володимира Путіна звільнити українських політичних в’язнів.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
iDnipro

Збірна Бельгії стала бронзовим призером ЧС-2018

Збірна Бельгії з результатом 2:0 перемогла команду Англії у втішному фіналі чемпіонату світу з футболу і вперше у своїй історії здобула бронзові нагороди мундіалю.

Бельгійці забили по голу в кожному з таймів – на 4-й хвилині після флангового прострілу відзначився Тома Меньє, а на 82-й хвилині свій гол забив Еден Азар.

Фінальний поєдинок чемпіонату відбудеться 15 липня. Зіграють команди Франції та Хорватії.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
iDnipro

Lost Luggage Finds New — at Bargain Prices

Suspiciously cheap diamonds, jeans for $1 and a pair of skis for next to nothing. It’s not a dream, these are actual bargains at a store in a small town in Alabama. What it sells are the contents of lost airline baggage. Every year airline companies lose about 20 million suitcases, and while most of them find their way back to their owners, thousands of bags are never picked up. As Daria Dieguts found out, some of these lost items end up here at the lost baggage store in Alabama.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
iDnipro

Machine Transforms Household Trash into Fuel

British inventor Nik Spencer believes household garbage is a valuable and underrated resource. That’s because trash happens to be the perfect fuel for his latest invention: the Home Energy Resources Unit, or HERU. VOA’s Julie Taboh has more.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
iDnipro

US Formally Lifts Ban on China’s ZTE

The United States has formally lifted a crippling ban on exports to the Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE. 

The Commerce Department said Friday that it had removed the ban after ZTE deposited $400 million in a U.S. bank escrow account as part of a settlement reached last month.

ZTE has already paid a $1 billion fine that is also part of its settlement with the U.S. government. 

“While we lifted the ban on ZTE, the department will remain vigilant as we closely monitor ZTE’s actions to ensure compliance with all U.S. laws and regulations,” Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in a statement. He described the terms of the deal as the strictest ever imposed in such a case.

The Chinese company is accused of selling sensitive technologies to Iran and North Korea, despite a U.S. trade embargo. 

In April, the Commerce Department barred ZTE from importing American components for its telecommunications products for the next seven years, practically putting the company out of business. However, Trump later announced a deal with ZTE in which the Chinese company would pay a $1 billion fine for its trade violations, as well as replace its entire management and board by the middle of July.

Lawmakers from both parties have criticized Trump’s efforts and have taken steps to block the White House’s efforts to revive ZTE. The Senate passed legislation last month included in a military spending bill that would block ZTE from buying component parts from the United States. That legislation now moves to a joint committee of House and Senate members who will decide the fate of the ZTE measure in a compromise defense bill. 

Most of the world first heard of the dispute over ZTE in May after one of Trump’s tweets. “President Xi of China and I are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast. Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!” Trump said.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!
iDnipro

White House Declares War on Poverty ‘Largely Over’

The White House released a report Thursday contending that the United States’ war on poverty — a drive that started over 50 years ago to improve the social safety net for the poorest citizens of the world’s largest economy — is “largely over and a success,” contrasting with other reports on the nation’s poor.

The report, authored by President Donald Trump’s Council of Economic Advisers, called for federal aid recipients to be pushed toward work requirements.

The report says poverty, when measured by consumption, has fallen by 90 percent since 1961. It also says that only 3 percent of Americans currently live under the poverty line.

“The timing is ideal for expanding work requirements among non-disabled working-age adults in social welfare programs,” according to the report. “Ultimately, expanded work requirements can improve the lives of current welfare recipients and at the same time respect the importance and dignity of work.”

U.N. report

The council’s report contrasts with a U.N. report on poverty in the U.S. that was released last month. That report said about 12 percent of the U.S. population lives in poverty, and that the U.S. “leads the developed world in income and wealth inequality.”

Phillip Alston, a U.N. adviser on extreme poverty and the author of the report, wrote in December 2017 that he believed Trump and his administration, along with U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, “will essentially shred crucial dimensions of a safety net that is already full of holes.”

In April, Trump signed an executive order outlining work mandates for low-income citizens on federal aid programs. These programs included Medicaid, which provides federal health insurance for low-income individuals, and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which provides these low-income individuals with assistance in food purchasing.

Both programs were among those introduced in the 1960s, during the administration of then-President Lyndon Johnson, a Democrat who coined the term “war on poverty” during his first State of the Union address.

Four state mandates

The Trump administration has already permitted four states — Kentucky, Indiana, Arkansas, and New Hampshire — to implement work requirement programs for Medicaid recipients, the first such restrictions enforced on the program. In June, however, a federal judge struck down Kentucky’s mandate, writing that the administration’s waiver “never adequately considered whether [the program] would in fact help the state furnish medical assistance to its citizens, a central objective of Medicaid.”

Anne Marie Regan, a senior staff attorney for the Kentucky Equal Justice Center, one of the organizations that successfully challenged the Kentucky waiver, told VOA that while she didn’t know the specifics of other states’ Medicare waivers, she thought similar challenges could be successful because of the administration’s insistence on work requirements.

Regan said her state’s proposal would have removed 95,000 people from health care coverage.

“The war on poverty is certainly not over,” Regan said. “There’s certainly still a great need for a safety net.”

In June, the U.S. House of Representatives narrowly passed a farm bill that includes work requirements for some adults who receive food assistance benefits. Every Democrat, along with 20 Republicans, voted against the bill, which is not expected to pass the Senate.

Build a better website in under an hour. Start for free at us!